Ford Excursion Forum
September 24, 2017, 12:43:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Get what you want out of life visit http://joe.myginclub.com Get what you want out of life visit http://joe.myginclub.com

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LIftgate problem, lock actuators.  (Read 3301 times)
Merman

View Profile Email
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:16 PM »

Just had the experience of not being able to unlock the liftgate on my 2000 Excursion.  Neither the lock actuator ( power locks)  nor the key seemed to make any difference.  I had already changed out the other four door lock actuators, so I knew this one was probably weak also.  But..when I couldn't get the gate to unlock and open by using the key...I knew I had a bigger problem.  There is no other option to unlock the liftgate from inside the vehicle. The fix wasn't too bad..but required removing the plastic trim panels from around the inside of the lift gate.  By using needle nosed pliers on each side of the actuating cables, I was able to pull the cables to unlock the gate..However, upon further inspection of the problem, I realized that by pulling up on the outside handle, even  in the full "up" position the ends of the pull cables were just starting to touch the lock arms.  The cables weren't engaging and activating the locks on either side of the liftgate.  Had the cable stretched?  It's pretty tough to stretch steel cable.  It would generally take a lot more force than a latch could make to stretch 1/16th inch cable.  There IS an adjustment in there.  It's a small green plastic catch attached to the handle mechanism with a snap lock.  Each of the main doors has one, also. Anyway, if this happens to you, that small plastic square mechanism is where you want to focus your attention.  If you have questions you can email me at zentco@gvii.net and I'll tell you what you need to do.  While I had the trim off, I replaced the actuator, also...which was the easiest of all the doors. Took about a minute to do.

I've replaced all five of the door actuators on this vehicle and got great service from .  www.am-autoparts.com   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: