Ford Excursion Forum
September 26, 2017, 12:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Get what you want out of life visit http://joe.myginclub.com Get what you want out of life visit http://joe.myginclub.com

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6.0 ECONOMY MODS  (Read 4235 times)
2005EXXLT

View Profile Email
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:47:23 AM »

Hi All,

I guess I won the Lotto.  I got a 2005 Excursion XLT, 6.0 Diesel, 4X4, with only 12K garage kept, one owner miles on it.  It has lots of toys, adjustable pedals, radar sentry's in the rear bumper, fog lights, and the factory side view mirrors with the led lights in them.   

It is averaging 13-14 mpg around town, and like 20 on the road at 55 mph.  At 65-70 mph it drops to like 16-18 MPG.  It also is like a gas pick up when towing my light weight 24 FT Travel Trailer getting like 10MPG.   I drive like old people have sex.

I am looking into a Banks cold air intake and exhaust combo and possibly an SCT tuner with an economy tune.  I don't have any fantasy's that it will become an economy car, but I would like to see a strong solid 2MPG increase all around.  Am I being unreasonable? 

I am also going to the factory 18" Super Duty (#3612 Hollander number rims) that have the correct offset and backspacing that do not require spacers.  I found out that the largest factory rims that are correct for the EX are the ones I listed and the 2004 Harley Edition.  The Michelin 275 70R 18 LTX MS2 tires are inly 1 1/2" taller (I will get the Speedo corrected).  Note the 3612 rims come in an A & B model (the difference is trim specific, one model is plain and the other model has tan paint in the pockets of the rims, if you have gold lower body trim).

Any other non evasive economy tricks will be helpful.  I also already did the Sinister Diesel kit with the Amsoil Bypass filter and remote water filter. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: