Ford Excursion Forum
January 16, 2018, 09:05:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Get what you want out of life visit http://joe.myginclub.com Get what you want out of life visit http://joe.myginclub.com

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: brake rotors  (Read 17156 times)
joelammey

View Profile Email
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:32:24 AM »

I recently purchased a 2001 Excursion. It has 113,000 miles. There was a  considerable amount of brake dust on the wheels. The brake pedal started to pulsate after a while. I had the front rotors turned. Problem was solved for a while. Brakes started doing the same thing after a few hundred miles. I now have driven 10,000 miles, have replaced rorors twice. I had replaced them with lifetime warranty rotors. If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know. And how the problem was resolved.
Thanks Joe L.
nobleelephant
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »

I had the same problem on my 2003 Excursion recently and tried turning the rotors and had the same problem with the brake pedal.  I replaced all four rotors and the pads and the problem seems to have gone away.  That was in June so it is still a little early to tell.  If you find another solutions let us know.
seehunt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:48:38 AM »

It's my understanding that you should never turn F-250,350 or Excursion brake rotors, as they will re-warp again soon because the rotors are thinner than they were and will warp more easily.
Also stick with Ford OEM rotors, they are considered the best out there.
nobleelephant
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:25:38 PM »

I did not know that.  I have an F350 in addtion to my Excursion and I had the rotors turned last November. Fortunately they have been fine so far, but I think I am going to check them out this weekend. Thanks for the tip.
jm091844

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:31:08 PM »

We bought our Excursion new (2005) we have turned the front rotors once and replaced the front brakes, shortly thereafter we replaced the front rotors again because of a vibration, while braking, as well as replacing the front pads again.  It seems that the vibration has returned again and the only solution we have found is replacing the front brakes and rotors.  We have never had to replace the rear brakes, they always say they look new.  I am wondering if the rear brakes are even working or if the front brakes are taking all the friction and it overheats the rotors and eats up the pads?
WMMfgInc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 06:41:24 AM »

I have heard that the brakes system is a bit small for the size of the truck. Without visual inspection it is difficult to troubleshoot. I have thought of the slotted rotor system to cool them down. You might want to do some investigation before the investment. The slotted are pricey but are widely used in racing industry and are available for excursions. I only get the brake pulse upon hard braking. I drive a semi and just practice braking earlier like hauling the 53 footer(80000 lbs. GVW). No pulse then. I am not a expert but have had plenty of experience in brakes in general.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: